December 11, 2023

Texas Supreme Court Freezes Ruling that Gave Mother Exemption to Pro-Life Law

On December 8, the Texas Supreme Court put a hold on a district judge's ruling that gave one mother an exemption to Texas's pro-life protections.

The Supreme Court's order was a response to a December 7 injunction issued by District Judge Maya Guerra Gamble. The injunction would have allowed abortionists to end the life of Texas resident Kate Cox's unborn child.

Because Cox's preborn child was diagnosed with Trisomy 18 and Cox has previously undergone two C-sections, Cox argues that her pregnancy puts her at an increased risk of complications. The Associated Press reported, “doctors have told Cox that if the baby’s heartbeat were to stop, inducing labor would carry a risk of a uterine rupture because of her two prior cesareans sections, and that another C-section at full term would endanger her ability to carry another child.”

“I’m trying to do what is best for my baby and myself, but the state of Texas is making us both suffer,” Cox said in a press release. “I need to end my pregnancy now so that I have the best chance for my health and a future pregnancy.”

Cox's statement suggests that death is "what is best" for her disabled child so that she can preserve her ability to carry a future child who is not disabled.