October 2, 2009

Texas swimmer attests to adult stem-cell success

Texas swimmer attests to adult stem-cell success

Use of adult stem cells has helped a swimming champion continue to compete.



Lexi Spann, a swimmer for the University of Texas, suffered a serious shoulder injury which put her on the sidelines. Texas Alliance for Life talked with her.
 
"It was already hard to deal with not swimming in the national championships," she shares, "but then to find out that I wasn't going to get to try out for the Olympics, which has been my life long dream, was extremely depressing."
 
Spann's own adult stem cells were used to treat the injury. "They removed some of my own adult stem cells and then put them into my shoulder during the surgery," she explains.
 
The competitive swimmer had to give her shoulder about three months to heal and let the adult stem cells work. Spann was pleased with the results.
 
"I was surprised, because I missed some training because of my surgery," says Spann, "but I was able to, at trials, end up going right next to my best time [in the 100-meter breast stroke] -- so I was ecstatic to be at that point so fast." She was able to compete in the Olympic trials and then nationals just as if she were her old self.
 
Texas Alliance for Life says Spann's case is another clear example that adult stem cells work in more than 70 diseases and medical conditions, while embryonic stem-cell research has produced no results.

Contact: Charlie Butts
Source: OneNewsNow
Publish Date:
Link to this article.  
Send this article to a friend.