November 9, 2017
Illinois taxpayers, but not health care carriers, will pay for elective abortions in 2018
Family Research Council released a study of the health care coverage being offered throughout the states as they pertained to elective abortions. Here's what they and the Charlotte Lozier Institute found about Illinois' programs:
Names of Insurance Carriers and Their Elective-Abortion Coverage:
1. Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois (12): No plans cover elective abortion (2018 plan documents).
2. Celtic Insurance Company (9): No plans cover elective abortion (2018 plan documents).
3. Cigna Healthcare of Illinois Inc. (5): No plans cover elective abortion (2018 plan documents).
4. Health Alliance Medical Plans Inc. (61): No plans cover elective abortion (2018 rep. communication).
5. *Highmark BCBSD Inc. (7): No plans cover elective abortion (2018 plan documents).
There are a total of 5 insurance carriers being offered on the Illinois exchange in 2018. Highmark is new to the Illinois marketplace in 2018 while Humana is the only insurance carrier to leave the Illinois marketplace. In 2017, all 61 plans did not cover elective abortion. In 2018, all 94 plans will not cover elective abortion, a 33 plan increase in insurance options.
For more about Illinois and other states, see "Abortion in Obamacare" HERE.
Click here for more from Illinois Review