August 24, 2016

U.S. Olympic Champion Saves Cousin’s Baby From Abortion: ‘I’ll Adopt Her’

Claressa Shields
Claressa Shields
Claressa Shields made history in Rio as the first U.S. boxer to win back-to-back gold medals. But while the major media outlets praised her historic win, they forgot about her most important personal win.

On Monday, the 21-year-old credited God for her success on Good Morning America after ABC anchor Amy Robach referenced her “difficult childhood.”

How Shields’ past was difficult, Robach didn’t say. But it’s a story well worth telling.

Shields grew up in Flint, Michigan with a father in jail and a mother with drug problems and male “acquaintances” who, Shields said, raped and sexually molested her. Her family relied on food stamps that, she believes, her mother sold for drugs – because food rarely appeared on the table. And when her cousin begged her for abortion money, Shields decided to adopt a baby of her own as a teenager.

Shields revealed to ESPN the story of how she adopted her cousin’s baby in 2014:

A lot of people don’t know, but I adopted a little girl. She’s about 6 months old now. Her name is Klaressa Shields like mine, just spelled with a K. My cousin had her. She already had two kids; she didn’t want to have another. I told her I wanted to have a baby after the Olympics but with my career and everything, I can’t afford to get pregnant right now. So she decided to keep the baby, and now the baby lives with me. I was there for her birth and got to cut her little cord. It was scary seeing her come out. I was like, “What is going on here?” We’re still going through the adoption process, but I have her when I’m at home. When I leave, my best friend’s mom and her birth mother have her.

Click here for more from National Right to Life.