May 30, 2023

Michigan Man Who Shot Pro-Life Canvasser Sentenced to Community Service

On May 23, 75-year-old Richard Harvey was sentenced to two months in jail and 100 hours of community service for shooting Joan Jacobson, an 84-year-old pro-life advocate advocating against legislation that would enshrine a right to abortions in the state constitution.

Harvey pleaded no contest to the charges of felonious assault, careless discharge of a firearm causing injury, and reckless discharge of a firearm.

Judge Suzanne Hoseth Kreeger imposed a suspended sentence of two months. Harvey will not serve any time in jail if he abides by the conditions of his probation (which order him to have no contact with Jacobson). Harvey must also pay court costs and $347.19 in restitution.

Jacobson was canvassing door-to-door against the pro-abortion constitutional amendment, which was since passed by Michigan voters. She was arguing with Harvey's pro-abortion wife about the topic when he approached with a gun.

Harvey told the court that he believed Jacobson would hit his wife with her clipboard, so he used his gun to try and knock it out of her hands. In doing so, he shot Jacobson; narrowly missing her spine. Jacobson then drove herself to a nearby police station. From there, she was transported to the hospital.

Jacobson read a victim impact statement at Harvey's sentencing hearing.

“I’m still in disbelief that this incident happened to me,” she said. “I still wonder what was so offensive that I did or said in my brief encounter with Mrs. Harvey that made (Richard Harvey) decide I was a threat and needed to get a gun.”

“I have supported Right to Life my entire life — respecting life from the first moment of conception until natural death has fostered in me a heart that forgives and will do no harm to anyone, except of course in self-defense,” Jacobson said. “I wouldn’t harm Mrs. Harvey and I did nothing to show her I intended to harm her. I came to their home for the purpose of saving lives, not to take lives.”

Jacobson said that she forgives the Harveys, though she would appreciate an apology.

Many pro-lifers express concerns that such light sentencing will encourage further violence against pro-life advocates.