March 24, 2023

Vermont Becomes Second Assisted Suicide Tourism State

On March 14, the Vermont attorney general's office agreed to drop the state's residency requirement to qualify for assisted suicide.

Connecticut resident Lynda Bluestein sued Vermont alongside Dr. Diana Barnard, a Vermont physician willing to prescribe lethal drugs to Bluestein and facilitate her death. Bluestein sought assisted suicide due to terminal cancer.

“I was so relieved to hear of the settlement of my case that will allow me to decide when cancer has taken all from me that I can bear,” Bluestein said. “The importance of the peace of mind knowing that I will now face fewer obstacles in accessing the autonomy, control, and choice in this private, sacred and very personal decision about the end of my life is enormous.”

Oregon made a similar change to its assisted suicide in March of 2022 after it was sued by a pro-assisted-suicide group. This makes Vermont the second state to open itself to "suicide tourism."

Like pro-abortion groups funnel vulnerable women to "abortion tourism" states like Illinois, assisted suicide groups can now take advantage of suffering patients from across the country by encouraging them to die in Oregon or Vermont.