January 8, 2021

Georgia Mom Wakes from Coma the Day Life Support would be Removed

Lisa Martin leaving the hospital
screenshot from Memorial Satilla Health video
On Dec. 31, Lisa Martin, a 49-year-old mother of four from Waycross Georgia, awoke after spending 40 days in an induced coma. It was also the day that her ventilator was set to be removed, but she defied the doctors' expectations and is set to make a full recovery.

Martin entered the hospital on Sept. 27 due to pain in her lungs associated with COVID-19. She spent a total of 95 days in the hospital, 40 of them in a medically-induced coma. After Martin had spent a month in a completely comatose state, her family decided to give her 11 days before removing her from the ventilator and allowing her to die.

“But God had other plans,” reads a Facebook post from the hospital, Memorial Satilla Health. “On the eleventh day, Lisa broke through the sedatives and began tracking Jeff with her eyes and she moved her hand.”

“I can’t wrap my head around what all has happened,” she told PEOPLE. “I am shocked but amongst all the overwhelming feelings, I feel like this is definitely a God thing. I got to a point where I felt like no one cared for me. I didn’t have a lot of friends, my kids are all grown up and independent, and my husband works all the time. I was lonely, but this experience has shown me how loved I truly am.”

Click here to read more.