October 30, 2020

Pregnant ESPN Reporter to Shaming Commenters: "I am proud to be a pregnant woman"

Molly McGrath Instagram post
After ESPN reporter Molly McGrath became pregnant, she, like many women who continue to work during their pregnancies, was shamed online by commenters about her body. She responded to internet hate with a post on Instagram:

“Last night I was on my feet for over 6 hours straight, in the rain, and knew that I would only get 3 hours of sleep because of a last second flight change. For the first time, maybe ever, I let a cruel troll tweet about the changes of my pregnant body get to me.

Here’s the thing: being pregnant is hard, especially as I enter my third trimester. My feet swell and hurt like I’ve never imagined and my back constantly aches. Not to mention the slew of other symptoms like nausea, heartburn, and exhaustion. I am making a HUMAN LIFE! The baby I’m carrying around could live outside of my body right now, and my strong ass body made that baby from scratch.

Completely separately, the job of a sideline reporter is also hard with the travel, prep, hustle to get information, and reality that we never get into a broadcast as much as we could have contributed. But you know what, I wouldn’t change ANY of my circumstances in a second. I feel so incredibly lucky to have a job that I’m so passionate about, it makes me forget that a little human is kicking my ribs.

I am proud to be a pregnant woman working full-time and I am proud that the magnitude of creating a human life has not, and will not, slow me down. Women are freaking incredible and powerful and anyone who doesn’t see that can kiss my big achey butt.”

Pregnant mothers often feel pressured by employers to abort or quit their jobs. Those who broadcast themselves on video receive added pressure from viewers and employers. Women should not have to abort their children to build careers, and McGrath wants to make sure women know this.

“I want young women to see me on TV and know that you can have a successful career and a family,” McGrath said in a Yahoo interview.

Click here to read more.