June 29, 2020

Doctors Left Quadriplegic COVID-19 Patient to Starve and Die Because of Disability

Photo Credit: Texas Right to Life
47-year-old Michael Hickson passed away due to COVID-19 on June 11 after doctors denied him food and treatment for six days. The reason? He was paralyzed and "didn't have much quality of life" according to them.

Hickson became quadriplegic in May 2017 after going into cardiac arrest. He was revived with CPR but became permanently paralyzed due to the lack of oxygen to his brain. He recovered enough to speak and move his head in response to people around him, but he contracted COVID-19 from a staff member at the nursing home he stayed in. He was admitted to St. David’s South Austin Medical Center in Texas, where he died when doctors refused to provide treatment or food. His wife, Melissa Hinckson, had no input in the decision and is left grieving.


“I’m struggling to understand how and why this could ever happen. I lost my best friend, my better half, the other half of my heart,” She said. “I was stripped of my rights as a wife and left helplessly watching my husband be executed. I now have no husband, a widow at 47. My children left with no father to celebrate Father’s Day. All taken away from us. I have no other words to express how I feel today except hurt, angry, and frustrated.”