January 14, 2019

Pro-life Democrat Charles C. Camosy on why language matters in the abortion debate

Pro-life Democrat Charles C. Camosy on why language matters in the abortion debate

“The struggle in the abortion debate is, in many ways, a struggle over language,” wrote Charles C. Camosy (pictured), who serves on the advisory board for pro-life group Democrats for Life and is an associate professor at Fordham University. 

“For example, I am pro-life. I strongly support rights and protections for mothers and children, including prenatal children, and other vulnerable populations. I want to see the laws of this country protect these people as well. In my view, this makes me pro-life. That’s why I use the phrase ‘prenatal child’ where other people would say ‘fetus,’” he said.

However, in the view of pro-choice people and of many mainstream media outlets, “I am not pro-life; I am anti-abortion. This language allows critics to dismiss me and fellow pro-lifers as single-issue obsessives, which we are not.”

Click here for more from CNA.