May 18, 2012

'Doe' describes odd twist in landmark abortion case

     

The plaintiff in one of the landmark cases that opened the door to abortion in 1973 says her pregnancy was used by the legal system without her permission.
 
Two companion Supreme Court cases in 1973 -- Roe v. Wade and Doe v. Bolton -- led to decisions that legalized abortion on demand. "Doe" in Doe v. Bolton is actually Sandra Cano, who says she was seeking a divorce at the time, but discovered a shocking result.

"I wanted my two children and I went to the Atlanta Legal Aid," she said during a recent appearance on American Family Radio's Today's Issues. "And from there, unbeknownst to me -- I still don't know how all this came about -- I became 'Doe' in Doe v. Bolton without my knowledge."

Cano was pregnant at the time and then found out she was to have an abortion arranged by her well-meaning mother. Cano says she would never have agreed to have an abortion and did not believe in abortion.

"Regardless of me saying no, I'm not going to have an abortion, I ran away the night before I was to go into the hospital at Georgia Baptist to have an abortion and I went to Hugo, Oklahoma," she described.

Yet while she did not have the abortion, the case continued to wind its way through the court system, using her pregnancy, resulting in a ruling in favor of abortion on demand. Norma McCorvey -- the "Roe" in Roe v. Wade -- contends her name was similarly misused in that case. McCorvey is now a pro-life activist and operates a pro-life ministry called "Roe No More."

Contact: Charlie Butts
Source: OneNewsNow