January 7, 2011

GOP Reps. Fitzpatrick, Dold Won’t Say if They Support Defunding Health Care Law



     Representative Mike FitzpatrickRepresentative Robert Dold
     Rep. Mike Fitzpatrick and Rep. Robert Dold

Reps. Mike Fitzpatrick (R-Pa.) and Robert Dold (R-Ill.) have not committed to defunding the health care law, under a plan by Rep. Steve King (R-Iowa), who supports putting specific language in every appropriations bill the House passes to prohibit the funding of the health care law.

"I haven't seen the proposal. I'll certainly take a look at it. It's intriguing but I think the focus really needs to be for the next week on Representative, I believe it's Representative Cantor's repeal resolution, which hopefully will pass," Rep. Fitzpatrick told CNSNews.com on Wednesday at the Capitol.

"I think it will pass and I suspect it will pass with a good, strong, bipartisan majority. If the Senate refuses to act or the President refuses to sign, we'll take it to the next step."

Rep. Fitzpatrick added, "I think everything should be on the table. I'll take a look. I mean, Representative King is a good man; is a thoughtful person. I'll take a look at his proposal and give it absolute due consideration, yeah, but it should be on the table."


Click here for the video.

When asked if he supports defunding the health care law, Rep. Robert Dold said he is focused on repealing the 1099 aspect of the law.

"I really support trying to find solutions and I think the way we're going to find solutions is put things in place that are going to move the needle forward and if it's going to be gridlock, let's start going after the areas that we know are going to be problematic," Dold told CNSNews.com on Wednesday at the Capitol.

Dold argues that the 1099 provision of the bill is "going to be a significant burden on small businesses" and "medium size businesses" because they will have to file a 1099 form for every business they "deal with or have a relationship with."

If legislation to repeal the health care law passes the House but fails in the Senate or is vetoed by the President, the GOP majority House could defund the health care law through specific language in appropriations bills, as Rep. King has suggested.

"I think we've got to cross that bridge when we come to it," said Dold.

In September of last year, then-Minority Leader John Boehner was asked if he supports defunding the health care law considering that the President will likely veto any attempt to repeal the law.

"I am committed to doing everything that I can do and our team can do to prevent Obamacare from being implemented. I believe that this bill will ruin the best health care system in the world and I believe that it will bankrupt our country. Now, when I say everything, I mean everything," Boehner responded.

Contact:
Nicholas Ballasy
Source: CNSNews.com
Publish Date: January 6, 2011